Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Johnson & Wales Tour

I just got back from a tour at JWU. It was really interesting. Last year when I was looking at schools, I don't know, I guess I didn't pay that much information to all the amazing things they were telling me. But at this tour, I think because now I am a college student, a lot of things stuck out to me. I got to the admissions building like half an hour early. And living only 25 minutes away from the school... that was early. I knew I'd be waiting for a little. But I'd rather be early than late. So in the building I picked up a few pamphlets about transferring, financial aid, and for parents. My parents didn't go with me to the tour, I did this all on my own. Then we went into the presentation room.

The admissions officer talked a lot about the programs on the campus and general things about the school. I asked about double majoring, which they don't offer, and I also asked about commuter parking, which is at the Harbor side campus, which they have a shuttle bus to and from. The average class size is 35 to 40 for the gen eds and 15 to 25 for your specific major courses. I really liked those numbers because I don't like my huge lecture nutrition class that I'm currently in. All the professors are industry experienced faculty and there are not Graduate assistance or TAs. Also a cool thing is that you don't have Friday classes unless you chose to take them. So you have 4 classes twice a week, because it's trimesters you don't take as many classes at one time. I liked that especially because I'm going to be commuting, I can work more. I also liked free printing. I'm surprised that at my school I can't print for free. I'll probably be taking advantage of that.

After that we went on a tour of the campus. Because it's a city campus there is a lot of walking but honestly everything is very close by and there aren't too many buildings so it's not like you're going to be walking across the city in order to get to your next class. I feel that most of my classes will be in the same building.

After the tour I talked to a transfer representative. I talked about how I want to do the DCP next fall. He said that there'd probably be no problem doing it in the fall and then going to JWU in the spring. I think that if I talk to Disney they will probably say the same thing because don't some students who do the program have to take a leave of absence from school to participate? I feel like I'll be doing the same thing, I just will be staying at URI while at the program and then after the program I'd go to JWU.

So now I just have to apply to JWU. Then in January apply for the DCP. I'm really excited. I hope this all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment